Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Unexpected workout

There I was riding my three wheeler through the woods last night enjoying the evening air when tragedy struck.  My drive chain decided it was going to come off the rear end and I was stranded about a mile from the road.  I didn't even skip a beat because I knew that a lonely guy in the woods at night in Alaska probably isn't the greatest idea.  I was packing heat because if you are crazy enough to ride on a thirty year old machine with only three wheels in the middle of the night (which if it is really "night" yet here that is debatable) you best be prepared.  So there I was huffing and puffing while jogging behind the three wheeler keeping en eye out for large mammals.  Luckily I did not encounter anything.

When I finally got it to the road I stashed it on the trail in the bushes.  It was only another mile walk to my cabin, but there was no walking going on, only running.  The bugs were so bad that every time I looked down at my hands they were covered with mosquitoes.  I had to constantly slap myself in the face to kill the little bastards.  It was all fine and dandy until my Honda Big Red broke down.  As long as you can stay at a constant speed right above jogging speed the bugs don't get you.  Well they were getting me trying to run the mile up the steep hill to my place.

Needless to say once I finally got back to my place and took my van to go get my rig I was beat.  That is what happens though.  You have to be mentally prepared to just deal with the situation and not miss a beat.  I was off that wheeler and pushing it in a split second.  I don't know if it was just natural quick thinking or the threat of the bugs that got me going to fast.  Whatever it was, it got me home.

This week's shows:

Wednesday - SubZero MicroLounge - Anchorage, AK. - 8pm
Thurs / Fri. - Two day vacation with friends in WHITEHORSE, Yukon, CA.
Saturday - Haines State Fair - Haines, AK.
Sunday - Pioneer Bar - Haines, AK.
Monday - 20 hour drive back to Fairbanks.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're still here. Did you catch my campaign to bring you to the UK? It started here: http://theukuleleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/the-grand-northern-ukulele-festival.html

    ReplyDelete