Thursday, August 1, 2013

TSA vs Border Crossings

I must say that I had a blast going to the Haines Fair in Haines, Alaska this past week.  It was more of all-weekend concert with vendors than a fair, which was super awesome.  I got to play alongside some great bands from all over the country, (Carrie Nation and Hill Stomp being two of them) and share my love of the ukulele with the people.  It was great to be able to give a ukulele clinic and a performance.  I can't wait to go back and do it again next year!

However, my main reason for this post is to thank the wonderful people working the border crossing on both sides.  You see to get to Haines, AK. via road I have to drive several hours into the Yukon Territory to get there.  That is right, leave Alaska for the Yukon only to drive back into Alaska.  Let me tell you what... they were so nice to me every time I passed through the crossings.  This is not the same treatment I get going through TSA.  I get my own personal public rubdown, get my luggage reorganized, and my ukulele put under a microscope every time I fly.  Border crossings?  I get the waved through.

Upon entering Canada they asked me if I was going to leave anything in their country.  I said, "I might use a bathroom or two".  They laughed, handed me back my passport (which I think is ridiculous I need one to enter Canada -- I thought we were special friends???) and told me to have a nice trip.  And other than getting sketched out by a black bear while "leaving" something in Canada in the woods off the Haines road I had a great time!  It was good to swing through Whitehorse and see some people I hadn't hung out with since my Gristlestick days.  Good times.

Friday night I'm playing at one of my favorite roadhouses in the world, The Fairview Inn in Talkeetna with the Parks Highway Band.... and then... on Saturday... on the beautiful banks on the Susitna River with Denali in the background I'm getting married to the love of my life.

Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment