Friday, August 9, 2013

Back to the grind

After a few weeks of gigs, getting married, and giving the sister-in-law a tour around a bunch of the great state of Alaska I'm finally back to the grind.

Yesterday I got to play my yearly stint at the Tanana Valley State Fair here in Fairbanks.  It is nice to have a bunch of gigs local to my house.  I put well over 1200 miles on my car last week with another 1100 mile work week coming up. 3.5 times the size of Texas.  Everything is not bigger in Texas... except belt buckles and cowboy hats.  That is about it.

The one thing that the fairs across the state here mean to me is the ending of the short summer season and the transition into moose hunting season.  Lindsey, my wife, and I depend on a moose to feed us non-store bought meat for the year.  Store bought slaughter house meats just don't do it for us.  We would rather not support those businesses with our hard earned dollars so we hunt.  Half of a full grown moose is enough for my wife and I to eat for a year (I'm just getting to the end of my stash now) so we like to donate the rest of the animal to someone who can't hunt for themselves.  Me and my hunting buddy last year gave a 1/3 of our moose to a local one legged man.  He was so happy he would have kicked himself in the ass for lack of a second leg.

This next week I'm heading down to the Kenai Peninsula for my last fair of the season, The Kenai Peninsula Fair, with night bar gigs each night.  Triple headers this upcoming weekend!  It is good to be in the last ukulele frontier!  Plus, my lady gets to come with me this trip!  Yay!  Silver salmon fishing, ukulele jams, and my lady... oh yeah... and the dog.  Good times!


1 comment: