Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Bears, ukuleles, and Alaska.

This is how I spent the first minutes of this year's 4th of July.  I figured if I was going to celebrate independence day I needed to do something independent like get out in the woods searching for Alaska's apex predator, the grizzly bear.  Unfortunately I did not stumble on or call in a bear.  I thought wounded moose calls would be like ringing the dinner bell, I was wrong or just needed a couple more days.  Even though I did not get my bear I still was reminded of why I live here in Alaska.  Independence and the freedom to do as I please is why I chose to move from the other end of the continent and my family to embark on a life journey in one of the most rewarding and unforgiving places in the world.

They say you will either feel one of two ways when you visit Alaska.  You will either love it or hate it.  About the third summer I came up here a local friend of mine here in Fairbanks asked me, "You love it don't you? Alaska?  You keep coming up every summer." to which I replied, "Yeah I really do love it." he then told me I was screwed and I should just move here and get it over with.  I obviously took his advice.

This next week I am teaching two classes at the Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival on ukulele.  My classes were jam packed last year and it appears they are that way again this year.  Perhaps one day I will get to teach at a festival outside of Alaska.  Perhaps a festival completely dedicated to ukuleles.  That would be most excellent.  I have a great lesson on the secrets of the thumb I think many people would be interested in.  Since I cut myself off from the ukulele community I have evolved on my own without the help of saying "Aloha" and wearing flower covered shirts.  I play more of the "what's up?" / Carhart apparel version of the ukulele.

THIS WEEK's SHOWS!

Wednesday - TALKEETNA - Fairview Inn - w/ Dr. Jones - 9pm

Thursday - SOUTH CENTRAL, AK. - The search for salmon begins.

Friday - ANCHORAGE - Humpy's Great Alaskan Alehouse - w/ Dr. Jones and Merrill J. Miller - 9pm

Saturday - PALMER - Combat Vets Biker Club Fundraiser - American Legion - w/ Dr. Jones and Merrill J. Miller - 3pm

Saturday - CANTWELL - Cantwell Lodge - solo - 9pm

Sunday - FAIRBANKS - Fairbanks Summer Arts Festival begins! - 2pm

1 comment:

  1. "I have a great lesson on the secrets of the thumb I think many people would be interested in." - I'd be interested in it... but let's keep that between you and me... :-O
    Haha

    ReplyDelete