Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Auckland!

I have to say I have been nothing but impressed with New Zealand in more ways than one. First off the people here are second to none. Some of the nicest friendliest people you would ever meet. It makes me feel like how people treat each other in Alaska. The hospitality from my hosts has been second to none. Avon and John I can't thank you enough.

Avon (the mastermind of the Ukulele Union
in Auckland. Without her my trip wouldn't
have been possible. 
Out on the "deck" (they pronounce this word
in quite a hilarious fashion. Use your imagination.
Today I got to go to the west side of the North Island of New Zealand into the jungle to enjoy some KILLER surf. 10ft waves and extreme rip tides on by the Sleeping Lion (a large rock formation on the beach). my friend Dave and I waded out to about out to the 5ft waves. That was enough for me. I have been in surf before and large wave pools, but nothing could compare to this.

My concert / workshop was a smash hit! What a great crowd of eager ukulelers. Nothing like trying to help people escape the shackles of the first 4 frets of the ukulele. I live for the moment where I see the light bulb turn on above people's heads when a concept clicks into place for them. That and smiles are what I'm in this business for... Well and also ukulele world domination. That is a big part of my motivation also. There are enough guitar players out there, but if we keep spreading the good word of ukulele soon they will be the minority. Don't get me wrong, guitars are cool, I actually am a accomplished guitar player, but only because I feel like if you want to defeat your enemy you first have to study and learn about them. That is the only way. Shoot first and ask questions later.

I have now arrived in Melbourne to headline the Melbourne Ukulele Festival. This is my second time I have been invited for this festival and I intend to knock people's socks off. I should be back for a third time if everything goes according to plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment